Popcorn might be the husband and my favorite thing to eat. I'm not lying...at all. We eat this stuff like it's going out of style...fast.
Snack time? "Hey, let's do popcorn!" Needing a small lunch? "Popcorn time!" Hmm nothing for dinner? "Popcorn to the rescue!" <--- This is so seriously honest. We don't have kiddies yet, so we can totally get away with popcorn for dinner. Amiright?
But what goes without saying is when you eat the stuff ALL THE TIME, you're constantly looking for new ways to spice it up. I guess pun intended ;) Sure we love it with butter and a little sea salt...but there's SO many other ways you can make it super yummy (and better for you).
- Add a sprinkling of powdered stevia to your already buttered and salted popcorn- instant kettle corn!
- Add a tiny dash of good balsamic vinegar for an acid kick!
- In place of salt, sprinkle some parmigiano reggiano onto the warm freshly popped corn!
But our ultimate favorite way? This.
Sweet, Salty + Spicy Popcorn
Serves 4 generously
- 1/2 cup organic popcorn kernels
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoon powdered stevia
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (yes, garlic powder...trust me)
Some explaining first...
- We use coconut oil in place of oil because...well in my opinion it's the best oil in the world (and better for you than butter). Any oil that can be a lotion, sunscreen, conditioner, frying oil, and then as dainty as being used spread across some breakfast toast is alright by me. Do some research- coconut oil is the King Oil. Or is it Queen? PLUSSSSSSSS it gives the popcorn a sort of movie theater flavor, which we totally dig. We also only use the oil to pop, and do not pour anything over the top afterwards- the oil is flavorful enough and coats the corn enough so that there's no real need. Like your popcorn covered in oil? Melt another tablespoon and drizzle over.
- Stevia? Yeah stevia. Make sure it's in the powdered form. It is so intensely sweet- you only need a little bit. Plus, this little sweetness really marries together nicely with the rest of the bold flavors we have going. Oh and plus plus- stevia is much better for you than sugar ;) I've said 1/2-1 teaspoons because we all like our popcorn our own way. We love ours really salty, sweet and spicy. If that's not you- start with the lower measurement and add more as needed.
- Cayenne adds the perfect little kick needed. Don't like your popcorn spicy? Add less or omit all together. Love it spicy? Add a bit more.
- Garlic powder? Yeah I thought I'd throw some off with this one. Just trust me. It's such a little bit, you'll hardly notice it's there. But it really does add another dimension to the flavors we have going. Plus garlic is good stuff. Just don't be in a kissing mood afterwards...
Now for the "How To":
- Get a large bowl and set aside. Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil to a large pot (with lid). If you're using a popcorn maker, add the same amount of oil, and follow your manufacturer's instructions. If you're using an air popper, omit oil at this stage, and melt and drizzle over freshly popped corn.
- Over medium to medium-low heat, melt oil and add your popcorn. Place lid over top and shake entire pot CONTINUOUSLY over your flame.
- After 5 or so minutes you will start to hear some pop-age. Keep it going! It will quickly turn into a popping mania! Just make sure you continue to shake that pot all the while.
- Once the popping sound slows down you're there. If 7 or 8 seconds have passed with no popping, you're done.
- Quickly (and carefully) lift lid- careful of steam! Pour into your large bowl and toss with salt, stevia, garlic powder, and cayenne!
- Serve immediately and enjoy!